Sunday, February 24, 2008

Smash and Grab


I was the victim of a Smash and Grab. It was pretty much inevitable as I see it. The incident took place on my school grounds, in the back parking lot which is fenced in. People park in the back parking lot because it is supposed to be safer than the front parking lot which is not fenced in. Anyhow, three weeks ago I informed the Dean at my school that there was a large hole in the fence in the back parking lot. She told me they have had problems with non-students coming into the school through that hole in the afternoons. She sent in the work order.
One week ago I told my principal that the hole had not been fixed. He went out to look at it. Shortly following, he emailed me in response to an email I sent him saying that the work order had been sent in. I had also told him that I saw two men parked behind the fence in a dirt lot who had come through the hole to pick lemons off the tree on the school grounds. Wouldn't this concern you if you were in charge of the safety of 900 students and 40 teachers?
This past Friday, someone came through the hole, smashed in my passenger window, and took my cell phone and my mostly empty purse and wallet. I wouldn't usually keep those things in the car, but I accidentally left my phone and I left the purse I was not using with the wallet I was not using in the car under some lunch bags. I had intended to go back to my car at lunch and get my cell phone, but thankfully I didn't. I know that if I had I may have seen the criminals and confronted them. In the neighborhood I work in, that would just be a very bad idea. I know myself though, and when Fight or Flight comes up, I definitely Fight.
So, I can't really blame the thieves. They were given the Smash and Grab opportunity on a silver platter. I do however, blame my principal. Maybe now they will make sure the holes in the fence become a priority.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, not a fun situation. That picture reminds me of what I saw when I went out to my Maxima after the entire stereo system was ripped off.

Hopefully that hole in the fence is fixed and the principal will be more attentive next time!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home